26 / 49
Free Software and the Internet
Internet = network of networks
- The interconnection of all these networks requires common communication protocols.
- The TCP/IP stack has won against proprietary protocols.
- Internet standards are open standards.
The cooperative functioning of Free software:
- relies on the communication media offered by the Internet,
- is related to the Internet engineering tradition.
The Internet has always mostly worked with Free software:
- The TCP/IP stack (BSD),
- email (Sendmail),
- domain name services (Bind),
- web servers (Apache, figures).
- RFC 2026: The Internet Standards Process - Revision 3 - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt
- A Brief History of Hackerdom, Eric S. Raymond - http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/hacker-history/index.html