13 / 49
Open Source Initiative
1998 : Initiative to promote Free software under the name of Open Source software:
- Forget bottom-up; work on top-down. Target decision makers rather than engineers.
- Use Linux as demonstration case, as it has the best name recognition.
- Capture the Fortune 500.
- Co-opt the prestige media that serve the Fortune 500.
- Educate hackers in guerilla marketing tactics.
- Use the Open Source certification mark to keep things pure
Open Source Initiative (OSI) is a non-profit corporation which:
- promotes the Open Source Definition,
- manages the OSI Certified Open Source Software certification mark and program, and maintains a list of approved open source licenses.
- The OSI web site - http://opensource.org
- The Origins of "Open Source", in The Revenge of the Hackers - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/raymond2.html
- The Open Source Definition - http://opensource.org/docs/definition.php
- Approved Open Source Licenses - http://opensource.org/licenses/
- The Halloween Documents - http://opensource.org/halloween/